Welcome to the OkMEA Symphonic Band and Wind Symphony page!
Many changes were discussed at our January Business Meeting.
The minutes are linked below and all changes are outlined in detail below.
Do not hesitate to contact Rusty Chevalier – email@example.com
Details of the changes made at the January Business Meeting
- Scales will no longer be a required part of the district level audition. The scale requirement has been moved to December auditions. Students who audition in a finals only room will play scales, prepared etudes, and sight-reading during the course of their audition. Students auditioning in a prelim room will play their required etude cuts and scales in the preliminary audition. If they advance to finals, they will only perform the required etude cuts and sight-reading in their finals audition.
- Scales will now be titled using INSTRUMENT KEY rather than concert pitch. Please refer to the OkMEA website for PDF files of the current scale set for each instrument.
This change does not mean an individual district may not include scales as part of their audition process. They can include scales but it can have no bearing on whether a student does or does not advance to the December auditions. Please make this item a part of the discussion at your district’s fall business meeting.
- The Oboe audition book that will be used is “48 Famous Studies/Etudes for Oboe (or Saxophone), Op. 31” by W. F. Ferling and edited by Martin Schuring. This adopted edition is from Kalmus (Alfred) Publishing.
- The Baritone T.C. audition book that will be used is “Selected Studies for Baritone Treble Clef” by H. Voxman and published by Rubank.
- The membership approved a committee recommendation to select the French Horn technical etudes from “Sixty Selected Studies for Horn” by Kopprasch (published by Kalmus) and lyrical etudes from “Legato Etudes for French Horn” by John Shoemaker (published by Alfred).
As a visual aid, the OkMEA site displays cover images of the current edition for each book from which the etudes were selected. We hope this will alleviate any confusion created by varied editions. Both Saied Music in Tulsa and Pender’s Music in Oklahoma City have been notified of the change and are stocking all required books. If you choose to use other editions, it is at your own risk as all adjudication will be based on the posted edition.
Please make plans now for both you and your staff to be available to serve in one of the over 300 roles that must be filled to facilitate a quality and rewarding audition process. It is not only the right thing to do, but is our professional responsibility.
You will be required to provide your NAfME card at both the district and final auditions. This verifies your current active membership in the organization. You may not simply provide your membership number as proof of compliance. Please request replacements for lost or misplaced cards and/or correct any lapse in membership so your students can be permitted to audition.
Deadlines and Fees
– $15.00 per entry
Second Deadline – September 28, 2019
– $45.00 per entry
Emergency Deadline – Contact Band VP
– $100.00 per entry
Second Round – Saturday, December 7
*Contingency Date – Saturday, December 14
The bad weather contingency date (December 14) is only invoked by the OkMEA President. All students must audition on December 7 unless that audition date is cancelled.
Students should be prepared to play any of the etude, and sight read for district auditions. Scales will no longer be a required part of the district level audition. Students who audition in a finals only room will play scales, etudes, and sight-reading at the All-State audition. Students auditioning in a prelim room will play their required etudes and scales in the preliminary audition. If they advance to finals, they will only perform the etudes and sight-reading for their final All-State audition.
Please remember to fill in all areas of the registration form, including the complete contact information and primary instrument for yourself and all directors from your school. This information is vital when scheduling judges/monitors.
Online Entry Form
Emergency Entry Form – After September 28
Please download the Emergency Application, complete all information, and email a copy to the Wind Symphony Chair and Band Vice President. Print a completed copy to bring with emergency audition fees to the audition site and deliver directly to your District Site Chair.
Download the Emergency Audition Application