Welcome to the OkMEA Jazz Ensemble page!
OkMEA will be using Opus Event for online auditions and adjudication for the 2020-2021 school year.
The in-person OkMEA High School All-State festival has been cancelled due to COVID-19.
The Jazz Ensemble will have a virtual All-State experience in January
for those students who audition for and make the ensemble.
Students must be a member in good standing of their high school music organization. They have to attend all rehearsals and performances of their OkMEA All-State organization and abide by the Rules of Conduct. Students must be eligible academically under OSSAA guidelines at the time of auditions and at the time of the festival.
If a student is enrolled virtually in an OSSAA sanctioned school but unable to participate in virtual instruction due to school restrictions, they can audition for All-State. Students enrolled virtually in non-OSSAA sanctioned schools are not allowed to audition.
1. Go to Opus Event – Auditions
2. Click “Create an account.”
3. Enter your name, email, and password
4. A pin will be sent to your email address
(be sure to check junk/spam folders)
5. Enter your pin
6. Enter your information
7. Link your NAfME membership
*You will not be allowed to access OkMEA
events without linking your membership
*If your membership expires during the
process, you will be locked out of the system
1. Find the Jazz Ensemble event in Opus
2. Click “Add Location”
3. Find your school in the list and click “continue”
4. If your school is not in the system, click “Add New Location”
5. Fill out the information and click “continue”
1. In your school location, click New Application
2. Under Category, select “Jazz Band”
3. Under Instrument, select instrument
4. Fill out the following information:
– Student name and email
– Parent name and email
– Grade and number of years in All-State
– If the student is auditioning on more than one instrument
– Preference if selected for more than one (highest chair, specific instrument, specific ensemble)
– If the student is auditioning for more than one OkMEA ensemble
– Ensemble preference if selected for more than one ensemble
5. Click “Save and Close”
6. Continue this process for each new student application
This is two part process:
PART 1 – Upload Payment
1. In your location, click New Application
2. Under Category, click “Payment”
3. Under Payment Method, click “Purchase Order” or “Check”
4. Fill out the necessary information
5. Click “Save and Close”
6. On your teacher profile, click the payment application you just completed
7. Scroll to the bottom and click Upload next to “Upload Purchase Order” or “Upload Check”
(The upload must be a Doc, Docx, or PDF)
8. Upload your form of payment
*If you end up needing to enter more students later, you will repeat this process with your second form of payment
PART 2 – Mail Invoice and Payment
1. Once you upload your payment, immediately print your OPUS invoice from your teacher profile
2. Mail your OPUS invoice with form of payment to:
All-State Jazz Ensemble Auditions
PO Box 886
Muskogee, OK 74402
*Payments MUST be postmarked by the posted deadlines
Deadlines and Fees
First Deadline – October 10, 2020
– $15.00 per student
Second Deadline – October 17, 2020
– $45.00 per student
Emergency Deadline – November 9, 2020
– $100.00 per student
1. You may test your audio equipment any time using the test feature on Opus.
– To record the Jazz Improv, you will need to play the Jazz Improv track on an exterior device (ex: phone with bluetooth speaker) and have the student play into the microphone you are using.
– Please test this before recording to ensure you can hear the Jazz Improv track in the background of the recording.
2. On the right of your teacher profile, you will see “Test Audio Recording”
3. To test your audio equipment, click “Test Live”
– Your student can record a scale or a portion of an etude to test the equipment
– You will be able to playback the recording to determine if adjustments need to be made
4. To test sight reading, click “Test Sight Reading”
– You will select the test sight-reading you would like to see (ex: Jazz Alto Sax)
– Click “Start Exercise” and the sight reading exercise will appear.
– In the right-hand corner, a timer counts down the 30 second study period.
– When the right-hand corner starts counting down again, the student must record the sight reading excerpt.
– When finished, click “Finished Recording”
Jazz Ensemble (Nov 111-Nov 22):
– November 11, 2020
Online Auditions Open
– November 11, 2020
Online Auditions Close
– November 19, 2020 (midnight)
Jazz Ensemble Judging (online)
– November 21, 2020
– November 22, 2020
Audition Material can be purchased directly through the OKJE website.
Etudes for the Developing Jazz Musician
by Will Campbell
Etude No. 2
Students who try out for lead trumpet must be in the top five trumpet scores to make the band
The Bass Trombone will continue to be its own instrument category.
Gordon Goodwin Play-Along Series Volume 4
Count Bubba’s Revenge
Drummers will also play sixteen bars each of the following styles:
Funk at 110 bpm
Swing at 110 bpm
Double-Time Swing at 220 bpm
Double-Time Swing Trading Fours (four bars of time, four bars of solo) at 220 bpm
Samba at 220 bpm
Jazz Waltz at 220 bpm
Drummers will play each sixteen-bar phrase in prescribed order, as one continuous etude, then after a short pause, play eight bars of swing ballad with brushes at 80 bpm
Sight-Reading and Improv
All students will sight-read following their prepared audition
An optional improvisation audition can add up to give additional points to the overall score. Interested students will play two, twelve-bar blues choruses in the key of F. The accompaniment source for the audition is from Maiden Voyage, Vol. 54, track #10 Tootsie (Jamey Aebersold, Inc., www.jazzbooks.com). This separate audition is optional but strongly encouraged.
OCDA Choir Rhythm Section
The selected rhythm section for the jazz ensemble will also perform for the All-OCDA High School Jazz Chorus at the OCDA conference, held the week before the OkMEA Conference in January.