September 23 – First CTSWS Registration Deadline
* $30 per student
September 30 – Second CTSWS Registration Deadline
* $35 per student
October 19 – October Report
* Delivered to Co-Chairs at Fall Workshop
December 15 – Conductor and
Accompanist Contracts Returned
January 1 – Conductor and
Accompanist Contracts sent to OkMEA Office
January 18 – CTSWS Meeting
* OkMEA January Conference
January 19 – General Assembly
*OkMEA January Conference
30 Days After Festival – Annual Report sent to OkMEA Office
All templates and reports are available for download from Google Drive. Click the link below to download the zipped file to your computer. All templates are also linked within the directions below. Please email Circle the State Co-Chairs, Jessica Cook and Cristi Miller, with further questions.
Region Coordinator Requirements
Region Coordinators must be a member of OkMEA.
Attend the CTSWS Region Coordinator meeting on Thursday morning of the January Convention. Please notify the state co-chairs if you cannot attend.
Attend the OkMEA All-State Children’s Concerts at the General Assembly on Friday morning of the January Convention.
Stay in constant contact with the teachers in your region to ensure a successful festival.
Select a day for your event. Keep in mind that the OCDA Convention is January 11-13, 2018 and the OkMEA January Convention is January 17-20, 2018.
Contact all must teachers in your area to spread the news about the event. Use the OkMEA website to find out which schools and/or districts are in your region – http://okmea.org/circle-the-state/region-information/
Arrange for a venue to accommodate the choir rehearsals, concert, teachers, and parents (there is no budget limit for the location but discretion is advised).
- Some venues may need a “liability insurance certificate.” If one is needed for your location, contact Jerry Huffer (email@example.com) at least one week prior to the event.
Arrange for a concert conductor ($500 honorarium) and accompanist ($250 honorarium). Many conductors have an accompanist with whom they work well. It is a good idea to ask the conductor if they have a preference before searching for another person.
- Conductor Contract
- Accompanist Contract
- Send 3 copies of the contract, copy of the music, and the password to the recordings (if available) to your conductor and accompanist.
- The conductor and accompanist should keep a copy for themselves and send two signed copies back to you by December 15, 2017.
- Send a copy of each contract to the OkMEA Office (Jerry Huffer, 636 Bacone Street, Muskogee, OK 74403) by January 1, 2018. Keep a copy for yourself.
- Lodging and mileage will not be reimbursed for conductors or accompanists.
- Once the contracts are received, Jerry Huffer will send the checks to you so that you can pay your conductor and accompanist the day of your festival.
Arrange for the hire of any instrumentalists, if needed. When possible use volunteer teachers within your own district. The honorarium is $50 for instrumentalists who are not volunteers.
Update festival information – http://okmea.org/circle-the-state/update-region-information/
Check the website to make sure the information was posted correctly. Wait 48 hours and if the information has not been updated, contact Katie Robertson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hospitality Table/Room with refreshments for your teachers, conductor, and accompanist. A separate room is better, if possible, to allow teachers the opportunity to hold a private business meeting.
Choral risers for all students on the stage area.
A rehearsal space that may or may not be the same as the concert space.
A sound technician for the rehearsal and performance.
A lapel microphone for the conductor during rehearsals.
A hand-held microphone for the announcements during the concert.
Choir microphones and shell for the risers is dependent on the venue.
Accommodations for students to bring and/or purchase lunches at or near the rehearsal site.
Tables for Registration/Tickets, Pepwear, Photo Vendors, DVD Sales, etc.
- Pepwear will contact you directly about plaques and monogrammed t-shirts.
Conductor and Accompanist lunches.
If you want a group photo, audio, or video recording of your festival, make arrangements with a photographer and/or recording company to collect money and take orders at each site. Send order forms to teachers in advance if possible.
Do not send a recording for the OkMEA files.
Contact directors in your region to remind them of the upcoming deadlines. Be sure to invite new teachers to become involved. Use email as much as possible to answers questions and provide information.
- Any teacher that enters students must be a current member of OkMEA. Any registrations that you receive without a current OkMEA membership number must be returned to the director. They have 10 days to re-submit their entry or late fee wil be assessed for each child entered.
- Registration Form
- Medical Release
- First Deadline – September 23, 2017; $30 per student
- Second Deadline – September 30, 2017; $35 per student
Dividing students into voice parts is always a concern and is not explained well on the registration form. Please advise your teachers to divide students into soprano, soprano-middle, alto-middle, and alto.
- EX: If you have 12 students, you will have 4 sopranos, 2 soprano-middles, 2 alto-middles, and 4 altos.
- During 3-part music, your soprano-middles and alto-middles will sing the middle part.
Collect registration forms and payments (1 purchase order or 1 check per school) via email or USPS.
Enter all registration information on the template. You will use this spreadsheet to pass out t-shirts and create a seating chart for your festival.
Complete the October Report. Keep a copy of the report so that you have the information for your Annual Report that you will complete at the conclusion of your festival.
- October Report
- Payment must be made by check or purchase order.
- If you receive a check and PO for one set of entries, shred the PO and send the check.
- If you send the PO, circle and/or write on the PO the number of students entered.
- Each school is to send only ONE PO or check. Do not send individual monies for entries.
Submit a copy of your October Report using Formstack before October 19 – https://okmea.formstack.com/forms/ctsws_october_reports
Print a copy of your report and bring the form with registration fees to the OkMEA Fall Workshop on Thursday, October 19, 2017. Deliver directly to CTSWS Co-Chairs, Jessica Cook and Cristi Miller.
If you are unable to attend the Fall Workshop, please mail a copy of your report with registration fees to:
CTSWS October Report
636 Bacone Street
Muskogee, OK 74403
Registered Teacher Communication
When you receive the password for the Rehearsal Tracks from the CTSWS Co-Chairs, share it with the registered teachers in your Region. Be sure to send the password to your Conductor and Accompanist as well.
Send out some helpful resources to your participating teachers:
- Student Recruitment Letter
- Student Acceptance Letter
- Extra Rehearsal Schedule Letter
- Student Practice Log
- Final Reminders Letter
Update the ticket template to include your festival’s current information and the CTSWS logo. Send a copy of the tickets via email 2-3 weeks prior to your teachers. Be sure to tell them to make enough copies so that each student participating receives 2 complimentary tickets.
Remind teachers that a Medical/Media Release must be completed by each student. This form does not need to be turned in on the day of the event but should be easily accessible by the teacher should the need arise.
Prepare for the day of the event. These duties may be delegated to other individuals or committees if you have volunteers in your Region. Remember, keep track of all expenditures and receipts for the Annual Report you will fill out after your festival.
Confirm information with your conductor and accompanist. Information some conductors have requested in the past:
- A list of schools and teachers participating in the festival
- A schedule for the day
- A program
- Copies of the music
- Access to the Rehearsal Tracks
Arrange to have risers set up before the day of the event. Arrange for help with riser placement (if necessary).
Arrange to have the piano tuned, if necessary.
Purchase snacks and water for your students’ morning and afternoon breaks ($200 is budgeted, but most areas get it for less).
Purchase teacher snacks for the hospitality table.
Ask teachers and/or parents to work the registration table.
Prepare the program.
- Program Template
- Ask the conductor for an order, performance notes, and/or biography.
- Ask the accompanist for a biography.
- Be sure to fill in all the blanks on the template and rearrange the song order as requested by the conductor.
- Be sure to highlight those CTSWS members who are also members of the OkMEA All-State Children’s Chorus.
- Email the program to all directors for spelling corrections and ask two directors to proof the whole program.
- When ready for print, make enough copies that would equal 2x the number of student entries.
- Send to the printer 1-2 weeks prior to your concert.
- Try to keep within the $75 budget.
When you receive the t-shirts, organize t-shirts by school. Teachers will receive student shirts on the day of the event.
Print extra tickets for sale (approximately 1 per student).
Arrange to have a money box and petty cash ready to collect money during ticket sales.
Ask teachers and/or parents to sell tickets and hand out programs prior to the concert.
Ask teachers and/or parents police the rehearsals (2-4 per rehearsal), halls, restrooms, and backstage area of your facility as needed. Please ensure that your region doesn’t treat their host facility in a disrespectful manner.
Make chair labels and place labels on the chairs prior to the event.
Make directional and ticket price signs.
Prepare registration packets for teachers possibly including, not not limited to:
- Festival Evaluation
- Teacher Meeting Agenda
- Name Tags
- Schedule for the Day
- List of each student and shirt size
- Pen or pencil
- Permanent marker
- List of Duties
- Copy of the program
Arrange for publicity (television, radio, newspaper, school media, etc.)
Day of Festival
Arrive early to put up signs and set up registration table.
Greet conductor and accompanist.
Announcements to make at the first rehearsal:
- Location of restrooms
- Break times (so students will not ask to go constantly)
- No food or drink in the venue except designated snack locations
- Behavioral expectations
- Turn off cell phones; no texting during rehearsals
- Introduce clinician and accompanist
Hold Teachers’ Meeting. Be sure to collect Evaluation Forms before teachers leave the festival.
Cost of tickets purchased on the day of the event is $2. Children 18 and under are free. Participating teachers and administrators are admitted free of charge as well.
Announcements to make to the audience before the concert:
- If you are having a professional DVD made for purchase, no video taping
- Encourage parents of younger children to escort loud children to the hallway
- Silence cell phones
- Recognize and thank supportive parents/guardians
- Recognize and thank participating teachers
- Recognize Children’s All-State members
- Introduce accompanist and clinician
At the end of the event, you may use ticket money to cover miscellaneous expenses. Be sure to count the ticket money FIRST for your Annual Report.
- Be sure to save receipts for all reimbursements made using ticket money
- Send all remaining ticket money to Jerry Huffer with the Annual Report
For all other reimbursements, send the blue vouchers (non-digital are on blue paper) to Jerry Huffer with your Annual Report.
- Be sure to put your region letter on all vouchers
- If the money is being sent to a participating teacher, have them fill out the voucher at the festival and attach their receipt
- The check will be made out to the person, school, or business that is listed on the ‘paid to’ line
Final Reports and Duties
Complete the Annual Report.
- Use all receipts to fill out your Annual Report
- Upload a copy of your Annual Report to Formstack – https://okmea.formstack.com/forms/ctsws_annual_reports
- Print a copy and mail with leftover ticket money and blue vouches to:
- CTSWS Annual Report
636 Bacone Street
Muskogee, OK 74403
- CTSWS Annual Report
Complete the Region Festival Evaluation.
- Use the Region Festival Evaluation forms filled out by your participating teachers to fill out the online evaluation
Update your Region Information as soon as you know the new information.
Congratulations you are finished! Thank you for your service.